Dr. Irving Lorge, a psychologist at Columbia University showed that older people lose nothing in mental power if they keep up their active interests. He showed that the ability of the mind to think and create, barring illness, is with you until the age of 90 and past. There are a host of dramatic instances in history that points up this fact:
- Rodin, the sculptor, did some of his finest work after 70.
- Michelangelo was 70 when he painted the frescoes in the Sistine Chapel.
- Verdi composed the opera Otello at 75 and Falstaff at 80
- Thomas Hardy was in full flush of literary creation at age 88.
- At 98 Titian painted the Battle of Lepanto.
In fact, 5% of all the works of genius have been done after the age of 80.
— Words of Power by Wilfred Funk