Florescent light bulbs are filled with poisonous mercury gas.
If you break a florescent light bulb, removing the released poisons will require you to go through a painstaking operation. “A broken fluorescent tube will release its mercury content. Safe cleanup of broken fluorescent bulbs differs from cleanup of conventional broken glass or incandescent bulbs.” [Wikipedia]
If you have children at home, there is a good chance that they will at some point accidentally break a florescent light bulb. Are you willing to risk their health (and yours) to save a few bucks?
Florescent light bulbs require substantially more resources to make than ordinary incandescent light bulbs (that’s why they cost more).
Florescent light bulbs should not be used in a fully enclosed area as they build up heat and can cause a fire.
Starting 2012 you will no longer be able to purchase incandescent light bulbs in the U.S. The legislators decided to require everyone to switch to the so-called “green technology” florescent light bulbs.
I recommend stocking up on incandescent light bulbs now.
While there are short-term savings to everyone using florescent light bulbs, the long-term costs of disposing of the toxic waste may exceed the savings (and make the planet less “green”).